The Reaperman

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Salaam Namaste

Tuesday 4th October 2005


After mosque, went to the movies yesterday. They have a huge no of theatres. Some are old fashioned and some are new. I went to a place called Regal opposite the Jehangir Museum. It was a big debate as to what to actually see. I wanted to see the choc factory, but my sis said that she also wanted to come, so I’ll keep that for a weekend. I was tempted to go see skeleton key, but decided to see an eye candy Hindi film....salaam namaste with saif ali khan and preeti zinta. I don't know why I went and saw this actually, but what the hell.

After dinner, sis told me that I could take her bike...wow. Was a bit worried about going without licence, but that’s what cool about my sis. She was like..Awesome. Its a Kinetic Honda 'Zing' 50 cc and no gears! It’s like driving an automatic. Absolutely no pick up and you’re cruising at a laughable 40 kmp, and more and it starts to scream. But it’s a damn useful bike to have. It’s got a mobile charger!!! And the best bit is that it can take the whole family (of 4!). I wore the helmet...bright red all face covering and left.

The kids saw me leaving and both wanted to come with me. I realised that if I don't take them, they might create a scene when I wanted to get away quietly, so I took them around the block. And then left. Muru has realised quite fast that this was a mamu who likes to get lost…

Another cool thing about movies here is that everyday you have late night movies at 9.30 and even 12.30. So I took the route I knew. I realised when I came to churchgate that I have had the wrong theatre in my mind as I reached EROS. So asked my way to the Regal. Bought a 100/- ticket (tickets get expensive during the weekend) and went to the balcony. Damn good seats. Had the usual ads in the beginning, but they were damn good ones (radio mirchi...these guys have a super outdoor idea in getting some ppl standing at the roundabouts in the morning holding signs saying switch to radio mirchi cuz so and so (usually a celebrity guest speaker) is on air now)
During the middle of the show, sis called me to make sure everything was ok and that she was sleeping. She kind of put the scare in me about where I parked the bike. Because if it was illegal then the thing would be towed away. We were having this conversation about how the cops love to tow vehicles away, so I got a bit worried about that. It was hard work worrying abbot the bike and concentrating on the movie. (Parking at a mall car park is 200/- and to release your vehicle after getting it towed is also the same. So the lack of parking compells some ppl to actually let their vehicles be towed away cuz it might be safer at the cop shed!)

The movie itself was one of those kinds that you don't have to use your brain for. But it was funny (slightly) enough to make the whole thing worthwhile. Very much like 9 months with Salma baby and Mathew Perry.

Raced out once it was over to check on the bike. Such a relief to see that the little beauty was still there. On my way back, I got slightly lost. Ended up at marine drive and the beach. What the hell though. Spent a little time there gazing into the black (slightly and slightly suspiciously smelling) water and the queen’s necklace. Left that place taking roads rather randomly knowing that I’d reach VT the train station eventually. And eventually I did (after taking a few tiny roads to avoid a few cops I saw on the way). On the whole it was quite a thrilling night.
I did not use the horn even once. I just had to prove to myself that you can drive in Mumbai without the need of the horn. Though I did feel like stopping, getting off, and kicking the shit out of a few idiots (mainly taxis and people).

3 Comments:

  • Hi,
    Why have you disappeared from real life? Come back!

    http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=LadyKiadri&tab=weblogs&uid=379853491 <-- go see.

    I need to talk to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM  

  • Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on compare long distance plan
    compare long distance plan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM  

  • Your blog tells me:
    you are a bohra and you live in south mumbai (bohra street)
    I am one too,
    Visit my personal website at
    Mustafa's Personal Website

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home